NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Monday, April 11, 2011

Observations, Round 2

Perhaps it's the high definition, but I previously did not realize there was quite the degree of elevation change on the very fast left right sweeper leading up to the back straight.     IMHO, Sepang is a great circuit.    It offers at least four, arguably five turns great for overtaking not to mention two long straights excellent for exploiting tow.

Pretty good race.    I could not help but notice (perhaps due to DRS) that there was so much overtaking that it all started to look a bit easy . . . a personal fear previously noted.

Great to see Heidfeld fight so hard to live up to my early praise (LOL).    Poor Petrov.    His race looked more like the Vitaly of latter 2010.    I like Petrov.    It's clear to me that he's a good guy.    Unfortunately, he appears prone to brain fade in the mold of the Monza Gorilla, Vittorio Brambilla.    I had to laugh at Brundle's bemusement when Petrov kept his foot in it returning from his off course excursion late in the race.    

Fortunately, Petrov was not injured but it reminded me of a cynical moment in the "Road Warrior" when he found himself holding a completely useless steering wheel.

Kubica.    The Lotus Renault is strong . . . and for all we know he might be leading the championship now.     Let's hope he continues to recover and returns sooner rather than later.

Not up on the details regarding the penalties handed down to Hamilton and Alonso, but off the cuff my take on this embarrassingly awful moment was that it was purely a racing incident . . . the FIA should not penalize racing.  

I've watched the on board several times and don't see any wrong doing on Hamilton's behalf.    I simply think Alonso got caught out by underestimating his closing speed on the McLaren.     On close inspection it is surprising how slow Hamilton appears in contrast to the Ferrari.  

In the end it was a great shame as Alonso put forth an otherwise noble fight to make the podium.     As my friends across the pond might say, "its early days," but I'm hoping Ferrari can pull it together sooner rather than later.  

There was great analysis on the BBC from Coulthard, who demonstrated via recorded engine note Hamilton's ability to take one of the super quick left right sweepers flat where Alonso was clearly lifting.     My impression is that Ferrari historically struggle with grip, and much as in recent years past, the optimum setup for the 150 remains elusive.

Finally, I have to feel for Mark Webber.     I hope his fortunes take a turn for the better soon.

4 comments:

  1. So I gather you're watching the BBC feed Jim.
    I thought it was a good race...for Vettel, Button and Nick. I really wish it had rained. I have the sneaking feeling that Mercedes set their car up a bit to the wet side of things as they felt it was their only chance for a good result. Kers problems may come back to haunt RB before the seasons over. Will you be here for China?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, rain would have made things a lot more exciting than they were in the first place, there is no doubt this was one of the best Sepang races I have seen, I don't if the DRS has anything to with it, but I feel there is with the exception of Vettel a more even race throughout.
    I also noted the elevation change, that was a cool discovery.
    All I know is I can't wait for China and another exciting start by Vitaly and Heidfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point on Mercedes. Would explain why they were so
    off pace as the race wore on.

    Yes! Will definitely be in town for China

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re:  BBC.   Yes try to catch as much as I can in addition to the coverage on Speed.    The BBC coverage is fantastic.   

    RBR hitting a snag on the KERS front may keep them in check

    And yes, the Lotus Renault cars have been pretty impressive on the starts so far

    ReplyDelete