NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Monday, August 22, 2011

A little movie called "Senna"

CAUTION: SPOILERS AHEAD

As James Hunt so aptly stated, I will never forget the "arrival" of Ayrton Senna.  

I had been incredibly fortunate to discover "Grand Prix International" (what probably remains to this day the greatest F1 magazine ever published) on the shelves of Atlanta's Oxford Books in 1984.    It just so happened that over the following two years I monthly carried home carefully selected pristine copy after pristine copy of this sacred publication . . . at a time which charted Senna's meteoric rise and his 1985 season at Lotus.

Among numerous demonstrations of sheer jaw dropping skill, Senna's dominant first victory in the rain at Portugal, his immediate attack out of Tamburello into Tosa at Imola, and his literal "drive the wheels off," bonsai performance in the season ending Australian GP at Adelaide stand out in my memory.

Senna grabbed my attention, for certain.   By the time 1985 past, he'd already blipped my "all time greats" radar.   Senna, however, was still learning.   By the time his third and final season with Lotus in 1987 arrived, it was clear success at the pinnacle of motorsport came not on sheer skill alone.

Things grow a bit foggier for me from that point forward.     Senna arrived at McLaren . . . and fortunately for me this is where "Senna" the movie picks up.    No doubt I was still following F1 with the same zeal I have now, but for some reason . . . perhaps life . . . I could not devote as much energy to the pursuit and therefore lost some of the fascination with Senna the driver that I'd started out with.

How odd; I was practically asleep during one of F1's most memorable eras and thanks to "Senna," I've a worthy retelling of those lost memories!     This brings up an important point about the movie, one of which I will elaborate on shortly . . .

. . . in the meantime, I wanted to use the film's recent wider release to stimulate some discussion on the film and the driver.     To get the ball rolling, I am soliciting your thoughts on the film.    Make no mistake, I've got plenty . . .

9 comments:

  1. Hats off to the filmmakers. Given my background in the film industry, I can't fathom the struggle and relentless dedication required to get this film financed, made, much less sold to North America.

    The fact that "Senna" gained any form of commercial release in the US boggles my imagination.

    Prior commenting, I want to first acknowledge the persistence and courage of the filmmakers and thank them for creating a truly important document to a very important individual.

    I think that it is fair to say that the culture of motor racing as a whole changed forever the day Ayrton Senna died. I personally feel his death proved to be a maturation point for all who live and breathe motor sport. The cumulative powers finally recognized motor racing to be an honorable sport and worthy endeavor which had long grown beyond macabre requirement on its contestants risking the ultimate price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you going to comment on the film or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm talking about offering up a little commentary on the film's content, not the yadda-yadda about "all the hard work by the boys back at the shop." You said you had plenty. Let's see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was kind of hoping that an objective participant might get the ball rolling, but the primary problem is that I've been on the road with work and not mentally fit to compose my thoughts in a manner fitting of the film

    That said, I can assure you that I will be submitting my take on the film.

    I disagree, however, with your discounting my appreciation for the boys "back at the shop," as no one should ever discount how rare this film is and how fortunate we are to have it on offer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not discounting anything, Jim. But, unless you want to talk about the making of "Senna," and what the boys back at the shop did to get 'er done, you're just idling and making noise.

    You're the blogger, Jim, we're the peanut gallery. This is your soapbox, podium, stage, megaphone. You said you had lots to say about the film, then asked people to comment.

    I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fair, I'm not offering excuses

    In hindsight my "preliminary" installments were probably hair trigger

    Shooting this afternoon. If I can will post tonight

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries, no hurries. As much as anything, I just wanted you to know we've been getting your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I aim not to disappoint. Please do keep in mind that I see this more a discussion than my personal soapbox, and it will play out that way because this is only chapter 1 of many aspects I'd interested in dissecting. Unfortunately I simply have not had the proper time nor energy to devote to writing. Writing . . . good writing . . . is very hard work and I'm a long way from suggesting that is what I do . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, Chapter 1 can not be inserted here . . . it will show up as the next entry in the blog . . .

    ReplyDelete