NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Monkey Business

I found this interview with Texas Comptroller Susan Combs revealing.  

I've questioned Bernie Ecclestone's agenda and modus operandi many times over the years, but not this time.    To say that I have a pretty clear idea on where the problem actually lies with F1 in Austin would be an understatement.

Although the USGP has proven a tenuous venture since the days when F1 was a gentlemen's pursuit, Tavo Hellmund's vision for this purpose built permanent home was in my mind genius.  

I believe the Austin iteration of the US F1 Grand Prix was destined to become a fixture for many years to come.     F1 would finally have a worthy home on US soil; a circuit which could provide a real challenge to the drivers and allow US F1 fans a chance to see the pinnacle of automotive technology perform on the absolute limit.

The annual F1 GP accompanied by the Moto GP and V8 Supercar series pretty much assured that the Circuit of the Americas would prove a boon to the region's economy.

Business is business, I respect that.     However I'm sensing, much as sports franchises are hustled from city to city with practically no regard for the paying fan, a suspect lack of stewardship.     Mr Hellmund almost pulled off a miracle, and I can't see it succeeding without his continued involvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment