NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Friday, February 10, 2012

Speed bump?

I adore the new Ferrari F2012, and challenge the wildly popular contention that the new "low" nose configurations incorporated by Ferrari, Lotus, Caterham, Red Bull, etc. for 2012 are ugly.

Specific to the F2012, I find the car to offer a more balanced overall footprint.     Compare the image above to this profile of 2011's F150 Italia:


Of note, I find there to be several key points to consider.     

The F150 looks bottom heavy.    I'm no aerodynamicist, but I can't help but think this may have contributed to Ferrari's issues with front tire temperatures throughout 2011.    In contrast, the contour of the monocoque dropping to the keel, under and around the radiator side pods, gives the F2012 a more aggressive stance.    All four corners now appear firmly planted upon the asphalt.     

The new airbox configuration looks fantastic.    I also dig the deeper hue that Ferrari have opted for the 2012 red and the new OZ wheels don't look too shabby either.

I suggest that too much emphasis has been focused solely on the "speed bump"joining the nose/wing to the monocoque.    

I can understand where if one were to look at that particular facet of the car alone, then "ugly" might be fair commentary.    However, when stepping back to take the car as a whole, I fully expect that the F2012 will not visually disappoint when attacking the world's great corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment