NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Friday, March 25, 2011

Mild surprise at early McLaren pace

Given all that I'd read leading into this first GP, I'd never guessed Button and Hamilton to wind up at the top of yesterday's P2 time sheet.

Nowadays it's impossible to take too much from Friday practice.     Strict limits have turned these sessions into test runs where setup variations probably stretch beyond the weekend and circuit at hand.

Comparing P2 from last year in remarkably similar conditions, one can surmise that F1 isn't getting any slower.     A quick glance at 2010's time sheet might suggest otherwise, but if one considers that the teams entered Melbourne last year with one race at hand and tires that they understood, the numbers tell a different story.

The gap from the front to the back seems to be growing, a gulf probably due to those back markers not running KERS?    If this trend continues, don't be surprised to hear more griping from those in front as the year progresses.

At risk of sharing details better left alone, I've not been able to break 1:31 and change from the comfort of my living room.     Slinging real cars around a very real and slippery Melbourne circuit fully six seconds quicker is something that I can't quite grasp.     They make it look so easy on television.

Final note:     Stoked to see F1 in HD for the first time, I found myself slightly let down.  I was reminded at the start of Fox's commitment to 720.    They do not broadcast in 1080.  

I hate to sound like a grumpy "glass half empty" sort . . . oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment