NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Friday, May 27, 2011

Misc thoughts on Monaco

Monaco

As usual, I'm very much looking forward to Monaco.    I'm glad world titles aren't ultimately decided there, but the F1 mecca certainly encompasses everything that is F1: the glamour of the Mediterranean,  cars sliding around impossibly tight corners, and dozens of internet posts about  . . . you guessed it . . . a general lack of overtaking.

When I think back over the memorable moments Monaco has provided  . . . Niki Lauda's remarkable recovery from a puncture to finish 2nd in an era when a single pit stop virtually assured one's doom . . . the nose to gearbox fight between Senna and Mansell for victory in the closing laps of '92 . . . I relish the potential these insanely tight, winding, steeply rising and falling streets have to surprise and astonish.

Perhaps then Monaco transcends annual regulation tinkering and is more about history and anticipation than the latest debate du jour.    It is a spectacle . . . one that I hope to experience very much in person one day.

Spain

Fernando Alonso's start and fight to steal the lead into turn 1 was one of the most inspired displays of raw talent I have seen in a long time.     Given Alonso's knowledge that his car could not keep pace with Red Bull and McLaren on the extremely technical Catalan circuit, I find his fighting spirit rare indeed.    There is no doubt in my mind that he is the best.    Ferrari have their man, and I can only hope that they will provide him with a capable car soon.

Barcelona certainly appeared less chaotic than the prior two Grands Prix.    I'm guessing that this is because Pirelli served up a more stable compound?    Thoughts?  

Where O' where has Kimi Raikkonen gone?

I watched my very first NASCAR Truck race . . . well let's be honest, I fast forwarded through it.    That just about sums up anything that I have to offer on the topic.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment