NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dear Lewis

Were you truly victimized by Alonso at McLaren, or was it your intent to simply make things appear that way?  

When you unfathomably rammed Raikkonen at pit exit in Montreal '08, did it ever occur to you that an apology might be in order?

Pointing your finger at your team and pouting about FIA double standards, was that really the most productive manner in which to address the missteps of Melbourne '09?

Do those occasional verbal radio assaults toward your team ultimately provide you with better cars and bullet proof strategy?

You are immensely talented.   Your competitive spirit burns bright.    You are admired the world over, but I must ask . . . have you looked in the mirror lately?

You fooled me.   I thought you'd matured . . . learned to respect your competitors, your team, your self.   I thought I recognized traces of growth, and started believing that you were becoming a true sportsman.

After Monaco I'm no longer quite so sure.  

I understand that you are young.   I understand that you were frustrated.    I understand that in certain moments, we all say things that we later regret.   I also understand that by referencing a fictional comedic persona, you thought you were being cynical and that everyone would recognize the absurdity of your remark.

Might I offer a suggestion for Montreal?    Spend a few moments looking across the McLaren garage to your team mate.     Spend a few moments considering the pressure he is under, listening to him, and observe how he handles the constant scrutiny of playing your understudy.  

Finally, I might suggest ripping a few of the pages from your hero's playbook.   Throw them away.   Senna was great, but many times petulant.   He was human.    No one does everything right, and what did not work for him certainly does not work for you.

Sincerely,

Disappointed
 

No comments:

Post a Comment