NAV BAR

HOMEPHOTOSABOUT

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Not just racing . . .

Continuing with my efforts to encourage the contributions of others, here's a great post from Traci as we prepare to attend the Grand Prix of Canada:


F1 - Not just racing, but a cultural event

Some people are drawn to F1 by the cars. I was drawn to F1 by the locales. Before discovering F1, my perception was that all racing was basically the same. I soon realized how wrong my assumption was - F1 cars are the fastest, the drivers are the best, and the diverse international locations provide a uniquely appealing backdrop for this exciting sport.

As I began to follow F1 and its yearly trek to circuits from the Middle-Eastern kingdom of Bahrain to quaint and charming European towns such as Spa and Imola, I discovered that F1 is not merely racing at its finest, it's a cultural event. Each circuit has its own individual personality and offerings. In Monza, each morning I looked forward to getting a cappuccino or espresso and a brioche alla crema at one of the many vendors lining the way into the circuit. For lunch, nothing could beat a delicious pomodoro e mozerella or prosciutto e mozerella panino and a walk through the beautiful park between events.

At Spa I looked forward to amazing grilled sausages cooked right before our eyes, accompanied by grilled peppers or onions or both! Later, a sweet smell drifting across the circuit led me to Belgian waffles made to order at little stands around the track. No matter where I am, in the evenings, I always enjoy trying the local cuisine and mingling with other international race enthusiasts. I can't forget one night in Imola, eating simple but delicious pizza at a small restaurant near the circuit, where next to us sat a whole table of German race fans singing German songs, and drinking Italian beer.

I have made some wonderful friends along the way, and this weekend, look forward to a new city, a new circuit and new friends. See you soon Montreal.

Traci Carroll


No comments:

Post a Comment